Students are encouraged to develop primary identification with the core values of Counseling Psychology as presented in the 2005 Model Training Program for Counseling Psychology (Epperson, Fouad, Stoltenberg, & Murdock, 2005; a joint document prepared by the Council of Counseling Psychology Training Programs and Division 17 of the American Psychological Association) that emphasize:
- Assets, strengths, and positive mental health regardless of level of functioning
- Respect for cultural and individual diversity, including race, ethnicity, religion/spirituality, nationality, age, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, ability, etc.
- Commitment to scientific method
- Developmental framework to human growth and development
- Relatively brief counseling interventions
- Person-environment interactions
- Educational/vocational development