The MAT is designed for students who have an undergraduate degree. We offer middle school certification (grades 5-9) and high school certification grades (9-12).
- Language Arts
- Social Science
- Social Science
- Earth Science
- Unified Science (Coursework common to all unified endorsements)
- Biology endorsement
- Chemistry Endorsement
- Earth Science Endorsement
- Physics Endorsement
A minimum of 32 credit hours must be completed at UMKC.
Missouri Educator Gateway Assessments (MEGA)
Prior to Entry – Missouri Educator Profile (MEP)
Prior to Entry – Missouri General Education Assessment (MoGEA)
Prior to Entry – Missouri Content Area Assessments (MCAA)
During Student Teaching – Missouri Pre-Service Teacher Assessment (MoPTA)
Visit MEGA’s website for more information.
- Complete DESE application for Initial PC license
- Pass the MEGA (see Table above)
- Minimum GPA requirements: 3.00 cumulative, 3.00 content area, and 3.00 professional education coursework
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited university (transcript)
- A minimum grade of C in all content courses with an overall content GPA of 3.0
- Transcripts which document completion of all Missouri content certification requirements (including DESE general education requirements)
- Two letters of recommendation that address the candidate’s potential to be an educator
- Missouri State Police and FBI background check
- Candidate narrative statement describing the intentions and purposes for becoming a middle or high school teacher in a high-need school district
- Completion with passing scores (when applicable) of the Missouri Educator Gateway Assessments (see Table above).
Notes and Special Announcements
- The next cohort for the MAT will be admitted for Fall 2017.
- The MAT is a licensure degree. For a non-licensure degree see our MA in Curriculum and Instruction.
- A MAT for K-12 Art and Foreign Language (French, German, and Spanish) will be available soon!