A State of the art early childhood school firmly embedded in constructivism; the theoretical view that learners construct knowledge through interactions with the physical and social environments. We strive to create a community / neighborhood that focuses on the importance of relationships between our families and staff. Children are encouraged to hypothesize and predict, pose questions, defend and revise ideas, research answers, and problem solve. Great emphasis is placed on the importance of independence and cooperation with reflection regarding thoughts and actions. Building an equal relationship between family, child, and teacher is a cornerstone of our philosophy.
- To serve as a resource to others Berkley enrolls children of UMKC employees, students, and the Greater Kansas City community
- Create an environment of cooperation and collaboration to enhance the process of learning and working together
- The teachers learn the needs of individual children and plan for the successful fulfillment of those needs
- Develop strong relationships among children, families, teachers, and their environment
- Create opportunities for exploration, interaction and experimentation with peers and adults
- To serve as a learning laboratory dedicated to reflecting state-of-the -art practices in working with children and families.