This week will be busy as I again encourage you to attend as many of the presentations and discussions with our dean candidates as your schedules allow. The candidates will be on campus as follows:
- Keith Wilson – Monday, February 8th
- Abul Pitre – Tuesday, February 9th
- Timothy Reagan – Wednesday, February 10th
- Justin Perry – Thursday, February 11th
Specific times of SOE specific and campus wide presentations have been communicated via listserv.
I also invite you to the university’s inaugural 3 Minute Thesis (3MT) competition on February 9th where five of our SOE students are among the competitors for cash prizes:
- Emine Demiroz – IPh.D. candidate in Curriculum and Instruction/English. “Bringing Books to Life”
- Erdem Demiroz – IPh.D. candidate in Curriculum and Instruction/Math. “Redesigning College Algebra for the 21st Century”
- Robert Greim – Ed.D. candidate in Higher Education Administration. “LGBT Climate in Division I Intercollegiate Athletics”
- Dea Marx – Ed.D. candidate in Higher Education Administration. “Mentoring through the Maze”
- Emily McGinnis – IPh.D. candidate in Music Education/Curriculum and Instruction. “Female Participation in Brass Bands: International Perspectives”
Audience members have the opportunity to vote for the People’s Choice Awards and will need to arrive prior to the competition start times to be admitted to Rooms 401A or 401D of the UMKC Student Union (Round One begins at 1:00 p.m.) or Room 401A (Final Round begins at 3:15 p.m.). The Award Ceremony will take place in Room 401A from 4:30 until 5:00 p.m.
And, a reminder of upcoming events and deadlines:
- Join us at an all-you-can eat pancake breakfast on February 12th from 7-10 a.m. (open house) at the Edgar L. and Rheta A. Berkley Child and Family Development Center. Tickets are $5.00 (at the door or in advance) and are available from Drs. LaVerne Berkel and Ekatarina Strekalova-Hughes or Mr. Brad Martens.
- Scholarship applications for undergraduate and graduate UMKC School of Education students for the 2016-17 academic year will be accepted until March 1st. Please alert your students; applications may be found at http://education.umkc.edu/2016-17scholarshipapplication/. A single application is used to determine eligibility for all scholarships.
- A graduate student information session will be held March 5th at 9:00 a.m. for students who are interested in continuing their educational journey. Those who wish to attend are asked to register.
- The seventh annual Urban Education and Community Forum on April 5th from 5-6:30 p.m. in room 401 of the UMKC Student Union will feature keynote speaker Gloria Ladson-Billings, Ph.D., of the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Please RSVP.
Have a fulfilling week.