A reminder that we will be hosting three candidates for the position of Assistant Professor of Higher Education for on campus interviews this month. I encourage faculty and staff to attend their one-hour presentations as your schedules allow. All presentations will be in room 307 as follows:
- Melissa Patterson Hazley – Today, March 13, 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Meredith Billings – Tuesday, March 14, 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. (Expected to defend, June 2017)
- Tiffani Riggers-Piehl – Monday, March 20, 10:00 -11:00 a.m.
Last week, Mel Tyler sent all UMKC faculty and staff information about the Vice Chancellor’s Honor Recipients program. Please note that the deadline to nominate graduating students who have excelled in both academic achievement and service to campus is Friday, March 17, at 5 p.m. Refer to your March 7th email from Mel Tyler or email firstname.lastname@example.org for the nomination form and list of eligible SOE nominees.
I am pleased to learn that four of our Ph.D. students in Counseling Psychology have been awarded travel funds by the School of Graduate Studies:
- Ramy Bassioni, for participation in the 9th annual Muslim Mental Health Conference in Lansing, MI, this April
- Raquel Craney, Amanda McLarty and Jennifer Schaafsma, for participation in the APA annual convention in Washington, D.C., in August
Please RSVP for the 15th annual Jazz on the Lawn, scheduled for Tuesday, May 2 from 3:30-5 p.m. on the SOE patio and east lawn. Sponsored by SOE Student Government and the SOE Alumni Association, the event allows us to celebrate our graduates and the end of another successful academic year. Annual awards will be presented for:
- Outstanding Undergraduate Student
- Outstanding Master’s/Educational Specialist
- Outstanding Doctoral Student
- Outstanding Adjunct Faculty
- Outstanding Faculty
- Staff Excellence
The deadline for undergraduates to submit their research papers or scholarly essays for possible publication in Lucerna, the UMKC Honors College’s undergraduate research journal, is May 13, with submission information posted online.
And, as you know, we are three weeks away from this year’s April 3rd Urban Education and Community Forum featuring Dr. Alfred Tatum of the University of Illinois at Chicago. Please RSVP if you have not yet done so.