As you are all aware, Dr. Gloria Ladson-Billings of the University of Wisconsin – Madison will keynote this year’s Urban Education and Community Forum on April 5th. She also will facilitate a more intimate conversation for SOE faculty and staff that same day from 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m. in Room 307. As lunch will be served, please RSVP by April 1st.
I also am excited to report that the School of Education and the Henry W. Bloch School of Management are co-sponsoring a campus visit and presentation by Dr. Judy Jacobs (Ph.D. ‘86, MBA ‘77), recipient of the 2016 UMKC Alumni Defying the Odds Award, on Tuesday, April 19th, from 5:30-6:30 p.m. at Bloch Executive Hall, Room 218. A Holocaust survivor, Dr. Jacobs’ presentation, “Memories of a Child: Aspects of Life Before, During and After the Holocaust,” is free and open to the public, although registration is requested. After Germany occupied Hungary in 1944, Judy and her family were placed in the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp when she was seven years old. She lost many loved ones in the gas chambers of Auschwitz. When Judy and her parents were freed, she was sent to boarding school while her parents began to rebuild their lives. Judy and her family immigrated to the U.S. in 1946. Despite everything they had experienced, her parents passed on their belief in the importance of education. Judy came to UMKC to earn her MBA and a PhD in higher education, completing her degrees while working and raising a family. Today she utilizes her education and experiences during World War II to teach others about the Holocaust. Dr. Jacobs also will be our guest on Monday, April 18th, at a more informal event for SOE (only) faculty and staff from 12-1 p.m. in room 307. Registration will be open after we return from Spring Break. I look forward to seeing many of you at one or both of what will undoubtedly be riveting presentations! My thanks to Ms. Tamara Morris, Ms. Barbara Schaaf Petty and Ms. Chris Popoola for arranging the lunch event for April 18th.
Please help us welcome a group of fifth grade students from Hickman Hills School District to campus on April 14th. The group will hear an admissions presentation at the Student Success Center, followed by a student panel and campus tour. This visit is the first of two commitments to the school district to provide early college awareness experiences to elementary and secondary students in an effort to stress the importance of pursuing a college education. Join me in extending appreciation to Dr. Jennifer Waddell who helped coordinate this visit.
The construction in the Learning Commons continues with framing for the entrance doors and desk areas, building the computer lab walls and painting the entire 129 area. New carpet and lighting will come soon. We eagerly anticipate the project’s completion by April 21st.
Given UMKC’s Spring Break, know that we will not publish enews the week of March 28th but will resume on April 4th. For those of you who will be out of the office, I wish you a time of rejuvenation whether you remain in Kansas City or will enjoy travels elsewhere. Happy Spring to all!
- Proposals for the July 16th Let’s Get Physical with STEAM! Conference, co-sponsored by Mid-America Association for the Education of Young Children and the SOE’s Continuing and Professional Education, are due April 1st. Further information and the proposal form are found online.
- Electronic gradebook and syllabus submissions for the Fall 2015 semester are due April 4th.
- Seventh annual Urban Education and Community Forum – April 5th. Dr. Gloria Ladson-Billings will present “What it takes for effective urban education: The Role of Youth Culture in Transforming Teaching.” Doors open at 4:30 p.m. for the 5-6:30 p.m. event in room 401 of the UMKC Student Union. Come early to get your seat as we are expecting a full house. Please RSVP.
- Regalia orders for 2016 Commencement are due prior to April 8th. Email Mr. Brad Martens.
- 14th Annual SOE Spring Celebration—an Ice Cream Social – April 28th. Celebrate our class of 2016 graduates, winners of three SOE outstanding student awards and the end of another academic year. All SOE students, faculty, staff and alumni are invited between 3:30-5 p.m. on the SOE patio and east lawn. RSVP.