I hope everyone enjoyed the long weekend after a very busy first two weeks of a new semester. I do wish to thank Dr. Nancy Murdock for her service as interim chair in CEP the last two years, and I know you also will help me welcome Dr. Chris Brown back to her role as chair in CEP, as of September 1. I appreciate their hard work during the School’s transition.
Please help me congratulate our new slate of student government officers for the 2016-17 academic year:
- Breanna He, president, third year student in Elementary Education
- Madison Blitz, vice president, third year student in Middle School Education/English (IUE)
- Andie Drummond, secretary, third year student in Middle School Language Arts
- Rachel LeMon, treasurer, third year student in Elementary Education
- Sharon Rodriguez Benarroch, faculty meeting representative, first year graduate student in Higher Education Administration
- Shelby Bessette, faculty meeting representative, fourth year student in Middle School Language Arts
- John Martinez, representative for Student Activity Fee Committee, third year student in Secondary Social Science
- Matthew Greenberg, representative/senator, third year student in Secondary Social Science
- Marina Khan, representative/senator, Ph.D. student in Counseling Psychology
As you may be aware, the School of Education captured some media coverage on KMBC Channel 9 this summer, with mention of our “shark tank” and thoughts on homework at the elementary level (thanks to Dr. Jennifer Waddell). Both were also mentioned on our Twitter feed (@UMKCSOE).
A reminder that the Funding for Excellence Faculty Grants Program is open for submission of proposals for the 2016-17 year. The deadline is 5 p.m. on Friday, September 16. Details and application submission forms can be found online. And, nominations for the UMKC Campus Awards (for teaching, service and staff) are open until midnight Tuesday, November 1. Visit the UMKC Campus Awards Website for nomination instructions and further information, and consider nominating deserving colleagues!
- Friday, September 9 – annual UMKC Night at Sporting Park. Discounted tickets are available; call Chris Popoola at x2660 if you are interested.
- Friday, September 16 – Welcome back lunch at Grand Street Café for faculty and staff. RSVP by September 14.
- Monday, September 19 – UMKC census date.
- Wednesday, September 21 – Learning Commons Open House, 3:30-4:30 p.m. This event has been rescheduled from September 7. Please RSVP.