- Ph.D. Educational Psychology, Statistics and Research Design, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2006).
- Motivational theories in psychology and education (e.g., flow, anxiety, and reactance), psychometrics, research design and statistics, gender and minority differences in test performance, evaluation of institutional/educational programs for minority outreach and support
- Dr. Marszalek is currently working on several projects with students using data from the National Longitudinal Survey of Adolescent Health (Add Health) involving various quantitative techniques, such as structural equation modeling, scale development, and propensity-score matching, to examine resilience, child maltreatment, prostitution, and sexual risk behavior.
- Dr. Marszalek is also collaborating with colleagues on several different projects, including flow theory in foreign language learning, therapeutic reactance, and music performance; implicit attitudes and stereotype threat; differentiation of self; attachment; design of experiments methodologies in pharmaceutics; and evaluation of higher education programs for minority student retention and multicultural competency.
- Krycak, R.C.*, Murdock, N.L., & Marszalek, J.M. (2012). Differentiation of self, stress, and emotional support as predictors of psychological distress. Contemporary Family Therapy. doi: 10.1007/s10591-012-9207-5
- Marszalek, J.M., & Hamilton, J.L.* (2012). Development and validation of a unidimensional maltreatment scale in the Add Health data set. Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development, 45(1), 3-17.
- Marszalek, J. M., Santee, J., Charnin, L., Zhang, T. & Youan, B. C. (2011). Assessment of students’ learning and perceptions of task value of a physical pharmacy laboratory course. International Journal of Pharmacy Education and Practice, 7(2).
- Odom, A. L., Marszalek, J. M., Stoddard, E. R., & Wrobel, J. M. (2011). Computers and traditional teaching practices: Factors influencing middle level students’ science achievement and attitudes about science. International Journal of Science Education, 33(17), 2351-2374. doi:10.1080/09500693.2010.543437
- Marszalek, J. M., Barber, C., Kohlhart, J., & Holmes, C. B. (2011). Sample size in psychological research over the past 30 years. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 112(2), 331-348. doi: 10.2466/03.11.PMS.112.2.331-348
- Nilsson, J. E., Marszalek, J. M., Linnemeyer, R., Bahner, A., & Hansen, L. (2011). Development and assessment of the social issues advocacy scale (SIAS). Educational and Psychological Measurement, 71(1), 258-275. doi: 10.1177/0013164410391581