Chair, Teacher Education and Curriculum Studies, Associate Professor
- Ph.D. (2008) Integrated Teaching and Learning, Mathematics and Socio-Cultural Theory, The Ohio State University
- M.A. (1991) Elementary Education, The Ohio State University
- B.M. (1978) Violin Performance, The Cleveland Institute of Music
- Inquiry-based learning, classroom discourse, equity and social justice in mathematics education, and classroom connectivity technologies.
- Odom, A. L. & Bell, C. V. (2015). Associations of middle school student science achievement and attitudes about science with student-reported frequency of teacher lecture demonstrations and student-centered learning. International Journal of Environmental and Science Education.
- Bell, C. V., & Pape, S. J. (2014). Scaffolding the development of self-regulated learning in mathematics classrooms. Middle School Journal, 45(4), 23-32.
- Bell, C. V. (2013). Uptake as a mechanism to promote student learning. International Journal of Education in Mathematics, Science, and Technology, 1(4), 217-229.
- Bell, C. V., & Pape, S. J. (2012). Scaffolding students’ opportunities to learn mathematics through social interaction. Mathematics Education Research Journal, 24(4), 423-445. doi:10.1007/s13394-012-0048-1
- Bell, C. V., & Odom, A. L. (2012). Reflections on discourse practices during professional development of the learning cycle. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 23(6), 601-620. doi:10.1007/s10972-012-9307-y
- Pape, S. J., Bell, C. V., & Yetkin, I. E. (2015, April). Making self-regulated learning explicit through sequencing components of mathematics lessons. In H. Bembenutty (Chair), Cognitive, social, and motivational processes involving modeling: A means of effective self-regulatory instruction and learning. Symposium conducted at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, IL.
- Bell, C. V. (2014, November 14). Developing Number Sense with Literature. Presentation/workshop conducted at the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Regional Conference and Exposition, Richmond, VA.
- Bell, C. V. (2014, November 14). Using Creative Activity to Build Understanding of Fractions. Presentation/workshop conducted at the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Regional Conference and Exposition, Richmond, VA.