Certification Information

Applying For Your Certificate

The UMKC School of Education will recommend you for certification as a teacher, counselor or school administrator in Missouri once you complete all the requirements for your program. Below are detailed instructions walking you through each step in the process, please follow the links below.

Step One: Create Your Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) Profile:

Regardless of your program, all UMKC students seeking certification must create a DESE Online Profile. If you currently hold a substitute or another teaching certificate, you should still log into your profile and make sure that all information is accurate.

Step Two: Applying For Your Certificate

Please review the list below and choose the type of Missouri certificate you are applying for:

  • Substitute Certificate: This option is for those who do not currently hold a valid certificate and wish to work in a school setting as a substitute teacher. Students who have at least 60 credit hours of college coursework completed and a completed FBI background check can apply. Teacher Candidates are required to hold a substitute certification prior to the start of student teaching.
  • Initial Professional Certificate: This option is for first time teachers, school counselors or administrators through one of UMKC’s initial certification programs.
  • Kansas Licensure: This option is for alumni of our initial certification programs the School of Education to apply to Kansas for initial licensure.
  • Provisional Certificate: This option is for newly hired teachers or school counselors who are currently enrolled at UMKC and have been hired by a school district on a Provisional Certificate.
  • Adding Teaching Endorsement: This option is for currently certified teachers in the state of Missouri adding additional certifications through additional coursework or Missouri Content Assessment.
  • Reactivating An Expired Certificate: This option is for teachers whose certificates have expired and did not meet the requirements for to upgrade their certification to the next level.

Individuals who hold teacher credentials from another state or country should select the appropriate application below:

  • Missouri Certification for Non-Missouri Graduates: This option is for teachers who completed a teacher preparation program outside of Missouri and now wish to be licensed for the state.
  • Out Of Country Applicants: Select this option if you earned a degree and hold a teaching credential from another country. Those who graduated from another country, but do not hold a teaching credential will need to complete a transcript evaluation with an advisor at UMKC to inquire about options for teacher certification.