Field Experiences

The School of Education programs are deeply committed to urban PK-12 public education in the region. All field experiences and student teaching placements are assigned in one of our nine partner school districts. Students are required to have a current, cleared background check before the field/clinical experience.* Below are the directions to obtain a background check:

Step One – Register with MACHS

Step Two – Use one of the following 4-digit registration numbers

  • Use code 2301 if you have a DESE profile and will apply for substitute certification in the next calendar year.
  • Use code 6692 if you will not be applying for certification next two semesters.
  • Use code 2300 if you are applying for your initial certification in the next calendar year.
  • If unsure, contact Dea Marx,

Step Three – Complete the registration process

  • Complete the MACHS online form, pay online using a debit/credit card ($43.05) and print out the final screen which will give you a TCN number.

Step Four – Make an appointment to be fingerprinted

  • To make an appointment email Dea Marx at Indicate the day and time you are available between Monday through Thursday 9am to 2pm.
  • Bring your TCN number and a photo ID to room 128 (1st floor of UMKC School of Education).

*Note: If you are currently employed in a school district, and can obtain permission from your district office to do your field work in your current district, you will need to provide our Coordinator of Field Experience with the name of your district, the building you work in, and the name and contact information of your immediate supervisor.  This will serve as your background clearance.