The School of Education scholarships are available to undergraduate and graduate students in our programs. 40+ different types of scholarships are awarded each year!
- Must be a current School of Education student
- Undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours each semester during the current academic year to receive a scholarship
- Graduate students must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours each semester during the current academic year to receive a scholarship.
- 2017 application deadline – Wednesday, February 1
Note: The number and dollar amount of awards varies from year to year. Awards are not automatically renewable and students must complete a new application each year.
School of Education students complete a single application which is then used to determine eligibility for all scholarships. Application should include:
1) Write a 750 word essay addressing the following:
Discuss your past accomplishments and future goals in the field of education or counseling. Describe how you will integrate and exemplify the SOE Mission and Values in your future work.
Student names are removed from the essay and resume before they are reviewed by the scholarship committee. Applicants must avoid using their name in ANY application materials. Responses longer than 750 words will not be considered beyond the first 750 words.
- NOTE: If you choose to apply for the Mazuma Credit Union Scholarship (approximately $1,500) you will need to submit an ADDITIONAL 1-2 page essay addressing this topic: Discuss your approach to teaching personal financial management in the classroom and how you see this approach advancing your student’s financial success. The essay should be submitted separately to email@example.com with the subject line “Mazuma Credit Union Scholarship“.
2) Copy of your resume
Please remove your name and email address before submitting your resume. If you need assistance with creating or updating your resume, contact Career Services.
3) Two recommendations
Two recommendations are required and it is suggested that one of these two come from an educator or current UMKC faculty member. Recommendation forms should be returned to the School of Education no later than February 1, 2017 at 5:00 PM. (Please use the recommendation form below.)
- Ask those who know you well and can write about your academic potential, your career goals, your volunteer and organizational commitments, etc.
- Your reference could be a faculty member or teacher, a counselor, an advisor, an employer, or an organizational leader. They should have direct contact with you, but should not be an immediate relative.
- Give your references plenty of notice so they have time to meet the February 1st deadline.
Instructions for submitting a Recommendation Form:
Students, please download the recommendation form PDF below, save it to your computer, and include a digital signature (using Adobe Reader) before sending/giving the form to your references. Or, the form can also be printed, signed, scanned, and e-mailed (or given) to your references. References should e-mail the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred method) or the form can also be mailed or faxed to:
UMKC School of Education
5100 Rockhill Road – Education Building 129
Kansas City, MO 64110-2499
OR fax forms to: (816) 235-6544
4) Complete School of Education Scholarship Application (Click Here)
December 1, 2016 – scholarship application process opens
February 1, 2017 – scholarship deadline
End of March, 2017 – students are notified of scholarship awards
April, 2017 – scholarship pizza party and writing of thank you notes
September, 2017 (specific date will be announced soon) – Annual Scholar and Donor Luncheon