The Teacher Education (TE) Professional Program is the final two years of a student’s teacher certification program. Students who have been admitted to UMKC as a pre-education major and have completed all general education, pre-professional, and subject-area coursework are ready to apply to the TE Professional Program. If these requirements are uncertain and/or unmet, applicants will need to meet with an academic advisor prior to applying.
Teacher Education Admission Process
(for students entering the professional program in Fall 2019)
Step One – Meet with your advisor to determine your eligibility for the program. In order to set up an appointment with your advisor, you can use Connect or contact the Student Services Front desk at (816) 235-2761.
The criteria for eligibility are:
- Complete Pre-professional requirements (prerequisites and subject/content area coursework) with a grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 or higher in content courses, 3.00 or higher in all TCH-ED courses and 3.00 or higher overall (cumulative).
- Passing scores on the Missouri General Education Assessment (MoGEA)
- Passing scores on the Missouri Content Assessment (MoCA) for all Middle School, Secondary, and K-12 students. *Note: Early Childhood, Elementary, and K-12 Foreign Language applicants are waived from the MoCA admission requirement, but will be required to take the MoCA after gaining admission to the Teacher Education Program.
- Completion of all General Education classes.
Step Two – Submit the Teacher Education Intent Form on or before Friday, December 7, 2018 by 4:00 pm. This intent form is to notify faculty and Student Services which students plan to submit their full application materials in March. As part of the intent form, you will need to submit the names and emails of two references that can speak to your appropriate dispositions for educating children. At least one of these references should be a professor. After you complete this form you will receive an e-mail via your UMKC email address with further instructions.
Step Three – Complete the formal application process. Prepare your application materials and submit all documents via email to email@example.com on or before Friday, March 1, 2019 by 4:00 pm.
The documents required are:
- Missouri General Education Assessment (MoGEA) passing score report
- For all Middle School, Secondary, and K-12 students, Missouri Content Assessment (MoCA) passing score report.*Note: Early Childhood, Elementary, and K-12 Foreign Language applicants are waived from the MoCA admission requirement, but will be required to take the MoCA after gaining admission to the Teacher Education Program.
- Write a Cover Letter and Resume as if you were applying to work at a School District (click here for instructions). Your resume should include paid and/or volunteer work experiences, student organizations, experiences working in schools or with children, etc. Your resume and cover letter should be converted to PDF and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your other Teacher Education application materials, listed above.
As part of the formal application process, you may be asked to participate in an interview with TE faculty. These interviews will be held Wednesday March 13th – Friday March 15th.