The Early Childhood Education program prepares you to teach successfully in urban schools and make an impact on the whole child during the most important years of development and learning.
Early Childhood Education (Birth – Grade 3)
Our program is designed for those who want to be certified to teach learners from birth through age eight (3rd grade). This bachelor’s degree is field-based, meaning that students learn by directly applying research and theory to working with children in diverse classroom placements. Students in this program are also eligible to apply to the Institute for Urban Education.
What will the program look like?
- You will experience active learning in the university classroom, explore schools with diverse curriculum models, engage with community agencies and families, visit museums and other community centers, connect with professionals in our field, etc.
- You will experience the full range of early childhood development and learning through placements in infant and toddler, preschool, and K-3 classrooms
- When you graduate, you will have a year’s worth of teaching experience
Who benefits from this degree?
- You benefit: from the beginning of the program, you start discovering the kind of teacher you want to be by actively learning though a carefully scaffolded learning process
- The children you teach benefit: throughout the program, you impact children by implementing meaningful culturally responsive learning experiences
- The community benefits: as our student, you actively engage with families and communities as a learner and advocate
If you’re liking what you’re reading and want to become a student at the UMKC School of Education, here’s what you need to do:
- Request information: This is a great first step in discovering more about our programs. Once you submit your contact information through the links below, we’ll start sending you more information about the admissions process, financial aid, scholarships, academics, and on-campus events.
- Visit campus: There are several ways you can visit campus and learn more about UMKC.Some options are specific for prospective student audiences, like our Senior Preview Days and Sneak Peek Day for high school juniors.
- Apply: Start the process of becoming a student by applying to school.
Contact us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 816-235-2761.