Our Elementary Education program will prepare you to successfully teach in urban schools, classrooms and communities. Your classwork connects theory with real-world experience.
Elementary Education (Grades 1-6)
The Elementary Education program is designed for those who want to be certified to teach in grades 1-6. This degree program is field-based, meaning that students are prepared by working in the classroom. Students in this program are also eligible to apply to the Institute for Urban Education.
What will the program look like?
Our program prepares you to teach in all communities and settings. As part of the curriculum:
- Classes taught on-campus and in real-life classrooms and partner schools
- You will work with students in all elementary grades.
- You will be paired with teachers and schools in both Kansas and Missouri.
- When you graduate from the program, you will have over a year’s worth of teaching experience.
Who benefits from this degree?
- You will benefit: learning to teach by working alongside master teachers and working with children from the first week of the program, you will maximize your school experiences.
- The children you will teach will benefit: starting from the first week in the program, you will be working with children in the community. You will be impacting student achievement and building authentic relationships with children throughout your time in our program.
- The community will benefit: Our program is a partnership that helps you understand the strengths and the needs of the community and how to build your own partnerships in the classroom.
If you’re liking what you’re reading and want to become a student at the UMKC School of Education, here’s what you need to do:
- Request information: This is a great first step in discovering more about our programs. Once you submit your contact information through the links below, we’ll start sending you more information about the admissions process, financial aid, scholarships, academics, and on-campus events.
- Visit campus: There are several ways you can visit campus and learn more about UMKC.Some options are specific for prospective student audiences, like our Senior Preview Days and Sneak Peek Day for high school juniors.
- Apply: Start the process of becoming a student by applying to school.
- Get Extra Support: Sign up for a free TEACH Kansas City account to receive access to tools and resources like 1-on-1 coaching, application fee reimbursements, and the chance to win a $1,000 scholarship to put towards tuition. Sign up today!
Contact us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 816-235-2761.