Our program focuses on the challenges and rewards in urban education, preparing you to successfully teach in a variety of settings.
Multiple levels (Grades K-12)
The K-12 Education program prepares future teachers to teach in their subject area. The program places student teachers in one of our nine partner school districts focusing on teaching within urban environments.
What will the program look like?
Our K-12 Education program offers certifications in the following areas: Art, Music, French, German and Spanish. You will complete general education, subject-area and pre-education classes in preparation for your Professional Year.
- The Professional Year is the last year of your program. You will spend time within our nine partner school districts throughout Kansas and Missouri.
- Our program is accredited by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
Who benefits from this degree?
- You will benefit: Students who come out of our Teacher Education program are prepared to teach in any school with diverse student populations and backgrounds. After graduation, you will have the opportunity to interview with districts in the Metro area and have the full resources of our School at your disposal.
- The students will benefit: From the first day, you will be trained to teach with diverse populations. By the end of the first year, you will be prepared to take charge of a classroom, providing your students a high-caliber education throughout the semester.
- The community will benefit: Our program is a partnership that helps you understand the strengths and the needs of the community and how to build your own partnerships in the classroom.
We are no longer accepting applications from incoming freshmen into these programs. Incoming transfer students and current UMKC students: Contact the School of Education to speak with an advisor; we will continue accepting students into the Multiple Levels BA programs if they meet all professional requirements by Fall 2020.