Field Experiences, Background Checks, & Student Teaching

The School of Education programs are deeply committed to urban PK-12 public education in the region. All field experiences and student teaching placements are assigned in nine partner school districts. Students are required to have a current, cleared background check before the field/clinical experience.* Below are the directions to obtain a background check:


    1. Register with the Missouri Automated Criminal History System (MACHS)
      Go to and select “Click here to register with the fingerprint portal”.


  1. Use one of the following 4-digit registration numbers
    • if you are a pre-education major (and will not be applying for initial teacher certification this year.), use code 6692.
    • If you are entering the professional teacher education program and will apply for substitute certification this year, use code 2301.
    • if you are a graduating senior (and/or applying for initial teacher certification this year.), use code 2300.
    • NOTE: For the last two codes you will need a Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) profile. If you do not already have a profile, visit the DESE website to create a new profile. Click here for detailed instructions.
  1. Complete the MACHS registration process
    – Fill out the MACHS online form
    – Pay online using a debit/credit card ($43.05)
    – Print out the final screen with your TCN number (which you will need when you come in to be fingerprinted)

  2. Make an appointment to be fingerprinted
    To schedule an appointment, contact Dea Marx at If Dea is out of the office, call Dianna Brasington at 816-235-2761 or email to schedule an appointment to be fingerprinted. Indicate the day and time you are available (Monday through Thursday 9am – 2pm). Bring your TCN number and a photo ID to 129 Education (located in the Learning Commons).


If you have questions, please contact Field Experience Coordinator, Dea Marx at or call 816-235-2234.


*Note: If you are currently employed in a school district, and can obtain permission from your district office to do your field work in your current district, you will need to provide the Field Experience Coordinator with the name of your district, the building you work in, and the name and contact information of your immediate supervisor.  This will serve as your background clearance.