Curious to see what degree program fits in with your desired career path?

Read below to find what degree program is recommended for you.

Note: UMKC has not made a determination as to whether these programs meet the requirements for professional certification in any particular state or territory other than Missouri. For further information, please visit the UMKC State Authorization website.

Early Childhood Educator (Birth-Grade 3)

Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Education

Elementary Teacher (Grades K-6)

Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education

Middle School Teacher (Grades 5-9)
High School Teacher (Grades 9-12)
Art or Foreign Language Teacher (Grades K-12)

Earn your certification through the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program. You will first need to receive a bachelor’s degree in your content area. The College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Biological and Chemical Sciences each offer undergraduate degree programs that will provide you with the content knowledge needed to be a strong teacher in your field. After completing your undergraduate degree, enroll in the MAT to earn middle school, high school or K-12 certification.

Available Certification Areas:

  • Middle School Language Arts
  • Middle School Mathematics
  • Middle School Science
  • Middle School Social Science
  • High School English
  • High School Mathematics
  • High School Science: Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science or Physics
  • High School Social Studies
  • K-12 Art
  • K-12 French
  • K-12 German
  • K-12 Spanish

Instrumental Music Teacher (Grades K-12)
Vocal Music Teacher (Grades K-12)

Earn your degree through the UMKC Conservatory.

Special Educator (K-12, Mild-Moderate Cross-Categorical)

MA in Special Education

English Language Learning Teacher (K-12)

(Must hold valid Missouri professional teaching certification)

MA in Curriculum and Instruction: Emphasis in Teaching English for Speakers of Other Languages (with English Language Learning certification)

Reading or Literacy Specialist

(Must hold valid Missouri professional teaching certification)

MA in Language and Literacy or Ed.S. in Language and Literacy

Building Principal (K-12)

MA in Educational Administration: PK-12 Emphasis or EdS in Educational Administration: PK-12 Emphasis

School Counselor (K-12)

MA in Counseling: School Emphasis

Licensed Professional Counselor

MA in Counseling (all emphasis areas)


Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology