As we confront an uncertain time, our focus in the IUE remains centered on equality and social justice. This crisis is exacerbating deeply rooted social inequalities. We are encouraged to see local schools thinking creatively about providing meals for families who rely on schools for sources of nutrition—we must continue to ensure that families who are food insecure continue to get what they need. As well, the movement to online learning is highlighting the digital divide in our metro area and around the country.
So as we re-conceptualize what learning looks like in the short-term, we must think about students and families who do not have access to technology. Lastly, history shows that international crises have led to xenophobia, racism, discrimination, etc. We believe it is essential that educators recognize and understand the historical context and remain committed to supporting equity and social justice by denouncing such discrimination and continuing to serve all students, students’ families, fellow educators, and the community at large.
We in the IUE want to recognize the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Here are some updates that we hope will be helpful as we adjust to a new normal:
- The IUE has suspended all scheduled in-person student and teacher events for the foreseeable future, and we have moved many events to a virtual format.
- We are working with our district partners to learn how the IUE can best serve students while school buildings are closed.
- IUE team members are currently working remotely. We can be reached by phone and email during regular business hours. Please don’t hesitate to contact us, as we recognize that connection and communication are more important now than ever before.
- For general inquiries related to the IUE or questions about applying for an IUE scholarship, Contact Jordan Smith, IUE Support Associate at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To discuss supporting the IUE or for community partnerships, contact Jennifer Waddell, Ph.D., IUE Director at email@example.com (Phone) 816-235-2443
- For information about pipeline programs (GYO), community college partnerships, and IUE seminars, contact Bradley Poos, Ph.D., IUE Associate Director at firstname.lastname@example.org (Phone) 816-235-6681
- For questions with questions about school partnerships, university supervisors, cooperating teachers, or teacher candidates, contact Hilary McNeil, Ph.D., IUE Lead Site Coordinator, Jen Fergerson, Site Coordinator, or Anya Arnold, University Supervisor and Instructor, email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
- To discuss funding opportunities or to make a gift to the IUE or click HERE or contact Shelly Doucet firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you know any aspiring urban educators, please encourage them to apply. We are currently accepting applications for the 2020-2021 academic year.
The IUE Team