- Ph.D. Counseling Psychology, Virginia Commonwealth University (1986).
- Dr. Murdock’s research interests include family systems theory, social psychological/interpersonal approaches to the counseling process, and professional issues.
- Murdock, N.L. & Stapley, L.A. (2017). What can we learn from the world’s mastertherapists? [Review of the book Expertise in Counseling and Psychotherapy: Master Therapists from Around the World by L. Jennings and T. Skovholt (Eds.)]. PsycCRITIQUES, 62(42).
- Murdock, N.L. (2017). Theories of counseling and psychotherapy: A case approach (4th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson/Merril.
- Drake, J.R., Murdock, N.L., Marszalek, J., & Barber, C.E. (2015). Differentiation ofSelf Inventory – Short Form: Development and preliminary validation. Contemporary Family Therapy, 37, 101-112.
- Brown, C., Murdock, N.L., & Abels, A.V. (2014). Ethical issues associated with training in university counseling centers. Training and Education in Professional Psychology.
- Ross, A. S. & Murdock, N.L. (2014). Differentiation of Self and Well-being: The Moderating Effect of Self-Construal. Contemporary Family Therapy.
- Heintzelman, A., Murdock, N.L., Krycak, R.C., & Seay, L. (2014). Recovery from infidelity: Differentiation of self, trauma, forgiveness and post-traumatic growth among couples in continuing relationships. Couple and Family Psychology, 3, 13-29.
- Murdock, N. L., & Davids, C. (2013). Theory building in family psychology: Pushing the envelope or over the edge? [Review of the book Beyond the Systems Paradigm: Emerging constructs in family and personality psychology, by L. L’Abate]. PsycCRITIQUES, 58(48), Article 5. doi: 10.1037/a0034888
- Murdock, N. L., & Ng, G. W. (2013). Self versus anti-self: Voice therapy as an antidote for inner war [Review of the book The self under siege: A therapeutic model for differentiation, by R. W. Firestone, L. Firestone, & J. Catlett]. PsycCRITIQUES, 58(35). doi: 10.1037/a0033320
- Krycak, R., Murdock, N.L., & Marszalek, J. M. (2012). Differentiation of self, stress, and emotional support as predictors of psychological distress. Contemporary Family Therapy, 34, 495-515.