- Ph.D. Second Language Education/TESOL, University of Maryland at College Park
- Research interests include, but are not limited to, English phonetics, reading English as a second language, literacy, learning environment, learning English to native-like proficiency.
- Recent Publications
- Zhou, Y., & Wei, M. (under review). Strategies in Technology-Enhanced Language Learning. Studies in Second Language Learning and Teaching.
- Zhou, Y., & Wei, M. (2017, August 24). [Review of the book Literature in language education by Geoff Hall]. Teachers College Record. Retrieved from http://www.tcrecord.org ID Number: 22140.
- Zhou, Y., Oxford, R., & Wei, M. (2016). A Chinese student’s early education in U.S. K-12 schools: A multilevel perspective. In W. Ma & G. Li (Eds.). Chinese-Heritage students in North American schools: Understanding the hearts and minds beyond test scores (pp. 25- 40). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Wei, M., Zhou, Y., Barber, C., & den Brok, P. (2015). Chinese students’ perceptions of teacher-student interpersonal behavior and implications. System: An International Journal of Educational Technology and Applied Linguistics, 55, 134-144.
- Zhou, Y., Bain Butler, D., & Wei, M. (2015). Research-based perspectives for teaching Asian graduate student writers. In Prithvi Shrestha (Ed.). Current developments in English for Academic and Specific Purposes: Local innovations and global perspectives. International Association of Teachers of English as a foreign language (IATEFL) (pp.235-254). Reading, UK: Garnet.
- Wei, M., & Zhou, Y. (2015, September 22). [Review of the book Helping English learners to write: Meeting Common Core standards, grades 6-12 by Olson, C., Scarcella, R., & Matuchniak, T.]. Teachers College Record. Retrieved from http://www.tcrecord.org ID Number: 18120.
- Bain Butler, D., Trosclair, E., Zhou, Y., & Wei, M. (2014). Student and teacher perceptions of academic English writing in Russia. The Journal of Teaching English for Specific and Academic Purposes, 2(2), 203-227.
- Bain Butler, D., Zhou, Y., & Wei, M. (2013). When the culture of learning plays a role in academic English writing. ESP Across Cultures, 10, 55-74.
- Wei, M., & Zhou, Y. (2013). Transfer of phonological awareness from Thai to English among grade three students in Thailand. Reading Matrix, 13(1), 1-13.
- Wei, M., & Zhou, Y. (2013). Early second language reading development: An extension of home literacy model. Journal of Language Teaching and Learning, 3(1), 37-53.
- Bain Butler, D., Wei, M., & Zhou, Y. (2013, February). Cultural influence in academic English writing: An international perspective. InterCom. The Newsletter of the Intercultural Communication Interest Section, TESOL International. Retrieved from http://newsmanager.commpartners.com/tesolicis/issues/2013-02-13/2.html
- Wei, M., & Zhou, Y. (2012). Effects of a language-minority family’s activities in early second language writing development. TESOL Journal, 3(2), 181-209.
- Zhou, Y., & Wei, M. (2018, April). Use of Web 2.0 Tools and Game Competition in Vocabulary Instruction. To be presented at the 2018 American Education Research Association (AERA) Annual Conference. New York, NY.
- Zhou, Y., & Wei, M. (2018, March). Learner Autonomy and Foreign Language Vocabulary Learning with Technology. To be presented at the 2018 AAAL (American Association for Applied Linguistics) Annual Conference. Chicago, IL.
- Zhou, Y., & Wei, M. (2018, March). Promoting Multimodal Academic Literacy with Technology-Based Project. To be presented at 2018 Annual Conference of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), Chicago, IL.
- Angela, Kathryn, Laura, Michael and Debbie (2018, March 29). Preparing Educators to Engage Families Constructively. To be presented at 2018 Annual Conference of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), Chicago, IL.
- Zhou, Y., Wei, M., & Bain Butler, D. (2016, April 9). Embracing cultural heritage in academic English writing: Perspectives learned from Asian students. Presented at the 2016 WERA (World Education Research Association) Focal Meeting via AERA (American Educational Research Association), Washington, D.C.
- Zhou, Y., & Wei, M. (2016, April 7). Enhancing academic English literacy skills with Web 2.0 tools. Presented at the 2016 TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) Convention, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Zhou, Y., & Wei, M. (March 21, 2015). On becoming L2 users in American higher education: A narrative research. Presented at the 2015 Annual Conference of American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL) and Association Canadienne de Linguistique Appliquée, Toronto, Canada.