At the Institute for Urban Education (IUE) at the UMKC School of Education, our mission is to prepare and support local teachers to make a profound difference in the lives of Kansas City’s urban students.
With the help of our partner schools, IUE students and graduates are supporting thousands of Kansas City children. Our programs serve communities that are often historically underserved, as well as racially, culturally and linguistically diverse.
But the real value of the IUE is in the experiences of our graduates. The teacher preparation program is proud to report:
- 100% job placement rate of IUE graduates in urban schools
- 51% of IUE graduates are teachers of color, compared to only 18% of teachers nationwide and 5% of teachers in Missouri.
- Nearly 90% five-year retention rate of graduates at their chosen schools, compared to 49% national rate and 35% Missouri rate
- 100% five-year retention rate among graduates of color and those from urban communities
With a focus on culturally responsive teaching; relationships with students, family and the community; and innovation in teaching and learning, we are committed to creating rich and fulfilling educational experiences for Kansas City’s students and teachers, our school partners and the entire community.
Miss our latest Q&A? Stream it here!
Are you interested in helping diversify the teacher workforce and help high school and community college students explore the possibilities of teaching as an act of social justice? Apply to join our team! The IUE is looking for a dynamic educator to help coordinate our teacher pipeline programs! Click HERE to apply!
Click to watch our most recent IUE Webinar Series focused on anti-racism in the classroom! Secondary Math and Science Classrooms: An Anti-Racist Lens – Click HERE Talking About Race in the Elementary Classroom – Click HERE
IUE presents a webinar providing P-12 educators with technology tools for facilitating learning in the classroom as well as remote learning.
Programs and Services
The Institute for Urban Education (IUE) prepares and supports teachers for richly diverse schools in three unique ways:
- Scholarships for individuals wanting to be teachers. IUE offers scholarships and supplemental preparation that support UMKC School of Education students interested in teaching in Kansas City urban schools. The IUE teacher preparation is a cohort program for students seeking teacher certification through an undergraduate or Master of Arts in Teaching degree. Learn more about our Teacher Preparation Scholarship and Support!
- Grow Your Own programs. IUE works with high school students and community college students interested in becoming teachers. Learn more about our Grow Your Own
- Service to Schools. IUE also offers support for local schools and the Kansas City community as a whole. IUE offers webinars, new teacher support and professional development for teachers searching for ongoing support in teaching for culturally relevant and anti-racist practice. Learn more about our Service to Schools and Teachers.
We have a critical shortage of highly qualified teachers in our community. Your support will help prepare exemplary teachers for tomorrow’s students — setting them up for a more successful and fulfilling life through education. If you’re interested in supporting this mission, you may wish to:
- Create an endowed or expendable scholarship
- Combine your gift with our other supporters to grow existing scholarships
- Make a general donation toward the growth of this proven program
- Gift planning, such as distributions from an IRA, annuity, life insurance policy or bequest are always welcome.