The IUE prepares teachers for success in urban classrooms by exploring issues of social justice and multicultural education. IUE students receive scholarships and, in exchange, commit to teach in a Kansas City area partner district for at least four years following graduation.
The IUE accepts applications from incoming freshman, transfer students and graduate students interested in teacher certification.
Students applying for the IUE scholarship should complete the following:
- Complete the Application to Institute for Urban Education
- Submit a typed personal statement of 750 words or less addressing your interest and commitment to urban education. You may also want to address why you have chosen the field of education and why you think you will be an effective teacher in an urban school.
- Names and contact information for two professional references
- Complete application for Admissions to UMKC or send official transcripts to the IUE
Application review will occur after all components of the application are complete.
Application materials (personal statement and transcripts), if applicable, should be sent to:
Institute for Urban Education
Attention: Jordan Smith
615 E 52nd Street, Suite 245
Kansas City, MO 64110
or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
IUE applicants will be reviewed by the IUE team. Potential finalists will be contacted to participate in the IUE admissions interview as the final component of the application process.
Interested in IUE?
- Students interested in learning more or applying to the IUE should contact Jordan Smith, email@example.com
- General inquiries about the IUE can also be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org