At the Institute for Urban Education (IUE) at the UMKC School of Education, our mission is to prepare and support local teachers to make a profound difference in the lives of Kansas City’s urban students.
With the help of our partner schools, IUE students and graduates are supporting thousands of Kansas City children. Our programs serve communities that are often historically underserved, as well as racially, culturally and linguistically diverse.
But the real value of the IUE is in the experiences of our graduates. The teacher preparation program is proud to report:
- A 100% job placement rate of IUE graduates in urban schools
- 51% of IUE graduates are teachers of color, compared to only 18% of teachers nationwide and 5% of teachers in Missouri.
- A nearly 90% five-year retention rate of graduates at their chosen schools, compared to 49% national rate and 35% Missouri rate
- A 100% five-year retention rate among graduates of color and those from urban communities
With a focus on culturally responsive teaching; relationships with students, family and the community; and innovation in teaching and learning, we are committed to creating rich and fulfilling educational experiences for Kansas City’s students and teachers, our school partners and the entire community.
We have a critical shortage of highly qualified teachers in our community. Your support will help prepare exemplary teachers for tomorrow’s students — setting them up for a more successful and fulfilling life through education. If you’re interested in supporting this mission, you may wish to:
- Create an endowed or expendable scholarship
- Combine your gift with our other supporters to grow existing scholarships
- Make a general donation toward the growth of this proven program
- Consider gift planning, such as distributions from an IRA, annuity, life insurance policy or bequest are always welcome.
The Institute for Urban Education (IUE) is a scholarship and supplemental preparation program that supports UMKC School of Education students interested in teaching in Kansas City urban schools. The IUE teacher preparation is a cohort program for students seeking teacher certification through an undergraduate or Master of Arts in Teaching degree.
The IUE also offers support for local schools and the Kansas City community as a whole. Some of our opportunities include a pipeline program to encourage local students to eventually become teachers, training for adults interested in making a career change to teaching and assistance for current teachers looking to grow their skills.
The IUE is now looking for a field instructor for pipeline programs! Click HERE to apply!
Click to watch our most recent IUE Webinar Series focused on anti-racism in the classroom! Secondary Math and Science Classrooms: An Anti-Racist Lens – Click HERE Talking About Race in the Elementary Classroom – Click HERE
IUE presents a webinar providing P-12 educators with technology tools for facilitating learning in the classroom as well as remote learning.