Congratulations on your decision to become a certified teacher! As you prepare, be sure to read through the information below to ensure that you are track and fully aware of your degree and teacher certification requirements.

Admission to the Teacher Education Program

The Teacher Education (TE) Professional Program is the final 2 years of student’s teacher certification program. Undergraduate students who have been admitted to UMKC as an education major and have completed all pre-requisite coursework are ready to apply to the TE Professional Program.

Students who have earned Bachelor’s degrees in a content area who are interested in gaining middle school, high school, or K-12 certification while pursuing a graduate degree should review admissions procedures for the Master of Arts in Teaching.

Background Check Information

To become a certified teacher, students must successfully complete various field experiences, including student teaching. Student teaching, a semester-long experience, occurs at the end of the program after all coursework has been completed. The School of Education places teacher candidates in a school within of one of our nine partner school districts and, for this to happen, qualified students are to notify School of Education Student Services one full semester before placement is to begin.

Certification Information

Once a student completes the approved coursework for each certification area sought, student teaching requirements, and the national tests for teacher certification, the School of Education will recommend the student to become certified to teach in the state of Missouri. Graduating students must submit an application for certification; the applications are processed once all grades/degrees are up-to-date on the student’s UMKC transcript.

Testing Requirements

The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) has initiated a comprehensive approach to assessing certification candidates known as the Missouri Educator Gateway Assessments (MEGA). Below are the exams you will need to complete toward your degree and/or certification in the state of Missouri.