The UMKC School of Education will recommend you for certification as a teacher, counselor or school administrator in Missouri once you complete all the requirements for your program. Below are detailed instructions walking you through each step in the process, please follow the links below.

Applying for Teacher Certification

1) Create Your Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) Profile:

Regardless of your program, all UMKC students seeking certification must create a DESE Online Profile. If you currently hold a substitute or another teaching certificate, you should still log into your profile and make sure that all information is accurate.

2) Choose the type of Missouri certificate you are applying for:

  • Substitute Teaching Certificate: For those who do not currently hold a valid teaching certificate and wish to work in a school setting as a substitute teacher. Students who have earned 60+ credit hours of college coursework and completed/passed an FBI background check may apply. Teacher Candidates are required to hold a Substitute Teaching Certificate prior to the start of student teaching.
  • Initial Professional Certificate: For first-time teachers, school counselors, or administrators who are applying through one of UMKC’s initial certification programs.
  • Kansas Licensure: For UMKC School of Education alumni who have completed initial teacher certification apply to Kansas for initial licensure.
  • Provisional Certificate: For newly hired teachers or school counselors who are currently enrolled at UMKC and have been hired by a school district on a Provisional Certificate.
  • Adding Teaching Endorsements: For currently certified teachers in the state of Missouri who wish to add endorsements through additional coursework or by examination (Missouri Content Assessment).
  • Reactivating An Expired Certificate: For teachers whose certificates have expired and did not meet the requirements for to upgrade their certification to the next level.

Students who are already certified to teach in another state or country

  • Missouri Certification for Non-Missouri Graduates: This option is for teachers who completed a teacher preparation program outside of Missouri and now wish to be licensed for the state.
  • Out-of-Country Applicants: Select this option if you earned a degree and hold a teaching credential from another country. Those who graduated from another country, but do not hold a teaching credential will need to complete a transcript evaluation with an advisor at UMKC to inquire about options for teacher certification.